As a core soft-skill, Emotional Intelligence has a big impact of our sense personal fulfillment.
Emotional Intelligence is about understanding the basic human emotions, in ourselves as well as the people around us. Sometimes referred to as emotional quotient or EQ, emotional intelligence is a loose measure (high and low!) of how well we recognise, react, and manage the emotions displayed by people.
Gaining insight into your EQ, your Emotional Intelligence, is not a deep-dive into psychology thankfully. It can be done very simply to start…
- Tune into your own emotions – know the names, descriptions and triggers
- Harness and apply your emotions – decide how you would like to control & manage each of your emotions when they occur
Some typical characteristics of a person with a high Emotional Intelligence are
- Keeping calm in the face of stressful situations
- Knowing their own emotions very well, and honestly
- Able to take into account the emotional needs of others
- Knowing what triggers emotional responses
- Show empathy – the ability to help others in emotional times
- Very self aware
- Self motivation – high intrinsic motivation, low extrinsic motivation
Impact of a higher level of Emotional Intelligence
Emotional Intelligence is widely accepted as a core ‘soft-skill’ to learn, and can improve our sense of well-being and personal fulfillment. EQ has an impact on our the quality of life, as it influences our behaviour and relationships – for good and bad.
The more we learn to harness and apply our emotions, the better the outcomes we will have with the people around us, by showing a high level of care and empathy. This need of caring for others, and being cared for, is central to the Relatedness component of Self Determination Theory.
- Take personal responsibility – for the emotions you show, the actions they drive and the impact they have on yourself and others
- Do some self evaluation, maybe even an online test (here)
- Build your Self Awareness – learn more here >> Self Awareness channel
- Review some recent events & situations where human emotion, in yourself and others, play a big part
- Run some personal experiments
- Learn to observe yourself and others
- Learn some basic negotiation skills
- Keep it simple –
In this Channel we discuss the tools and techniques that give you the ability to identify, understand, and manage your emotions.