Goals are the mental steps required to get to the Vision, helped out by the Strategy and tools. The fields in the Goal are
● Name – short name used in Goalmuse lists and reports
● Description – long description with more details
● Horizon – used to indicate approx future time
● Target Date – a specific date, or ‘no-date’
● Motivator – what is your personal driver for this goal (see Intrinsic/Extrinsic goals)
● %Complete – between 0-100%
Plus additional fields only available in the Advanced Plan:-
● Benefits – the joy and benefits of achieving this goal
● Downside – the negative side of not achieving this goal
● Success criteria – what indicates that the goal is a success. A qualification, a habit, a date, amount, etc..
● Reward – give yourself a reward on completing the goal
● Skills/Knowledge – the skills and knowledge required to complete this goal
Actions are the physical tasks you need to complete, in order to get a 100% complete Goal. The fields in Actions are
● Action – description
● Priority – using the Eisenhower Matrix technique. Reported in the ‘Priority Matrix’
● Target Date – a specific date
● Status – Open, On hold or Done
To make your Goals even better, consider being SMART with them:-
- Specific (simple, sensible, significant).
- Measurable (meaningful, motivating).
- Achievable (agreed, attainable).
- Relevant (reasonable, realistic and resourced, results-based).
- Time bound (time-based, time limited, time/cost limited, timely, time-sensitive).
Mindtools: SMART Goals