The Wheel Of Life
The Wheel Of Life is a popular tool used by life coaches to help us visualise the Life Areas in a wheel, where each segment is a Life Area.
The idea is to assess yourself & your life to see if there are important things you’ve been neglecting, or things you’ve been giving too much of yourself to, then, in keeping with the wheel metaphor, decide on actions to balanced the wheel – to balance your life.
There are 3 elements that are available with the Wheel of Life tool:-
- A display of the key Life Areas in you life
- Using a Satisfaction Level assessment to graphically display the in-balance in your life
- The %Complete of all Goals – goals set to recover the in-balance to a higher Satisfaction level
The previous section discussed the which Life Areas to use, so you will have (1) completed by now.
Next (2) is to review your overall balance, using a Satisfaction Level measure (ie a scale of 1 – 10) in each Life Area – the concentric rings in the wheel.
Based on your Satisfaction Level, you next step is to decide what goals & actions are needed to raise the Satisfaction Level to a desired level – the level that will bring balance in your life.
Create your own
Draw your own version of the screenshot above.
- Draw a circle and dissect it into the number of segments to match the number of Life Areas
- Draw 10 ( or 5) inner circles. Each one represents your Satisfaction Level. Score yourself (1=Not good, to 10 (or 5) =Very Good). Shade in the segments.
- Finally, add in a “% Complete” number to indicate how far you are to competing all goals for that Life Area.
Over the course of time, and as you complete the goals set, your Satisfaction Levels should begin to even out.
And as these even out you should begin to notice more balance and harmony in you day to day life..
Satisfaction levels are a measure of that feeling we have regarding our personal fulfullment, which is often a mixture of happiness and frustration. The aim here is to identify a Satisfaction level for each Life Areas – a score from 1 – 10 of how fulfilled you feel in each